Sunday 8 February 2009

Day 126: beat my time :)

We are just back in rainy London after a successful day in Ashford, where I run the Ashford & District race -- my second 10-Kilometre race. Last time, I completed the course in 53 minutes and 48 seconds. This time? 51 minutes and 58 seconds!!! I finished 291st out 563 runners. I am incredibly pleased, not least because I was bothered by annoying stitches (the same cramping muscle in the same spot of my abdomen, and the same cramping muscle in the side of my neck, as usual), and had to moderate my speed for kilometres 6 and 7.

The course is really pleasant and challenging at the same time. We had some beautiful sun and there are some good bits of countryside there. There were lots of hills, one in particular which was particularly long and got steeper towards the end, causing a couple of people to break into a walk.

I kept tagging my self up to a couple of ladies from the Folkestone running club towards the end, as they were running at a good consistent speed and I knew to run back up to them at times where I found myself slowing down a bit. They finished just in front of me, as in the last few metres I managed a really cool sprint and took over another guy to run back up to them. This time I made sure that I started my sprint a little later, so as to have the energy to run through the finish line at full speed.

All in all, a challenging but rewarding race. Stephen managed a few very good photos which he will be posting shortly. We had a really good roast lunch at an 18th century inn in Ashford, topped with a portion of apple and blackberry crumble. And now, we are back in London after a train trip which I mostly do not remember, because I fell asleep and spent most of the journey vaguely waking up and adjusting myself in my seat.

Tonight: a long, warm, soothing bath, and a generous slice of pizza await... Yum!

No comments: