Sunday 9 November 2008

First race -- done!!! I've got the Leatherhead 10K under my belt.

Hurraayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! :D I made it to my first race (up at 5:30 AM), completed it (1oK), did not finish last, and beat about 200 people at it!!! I arrived after 53 minutes, in 373rd position out of about 520 participants -- I'll know soon out of how many female participants.

This race was a treat! After the initial stampede and the first 3-4 Kms, I powered through those hills and started to overtake people, nice and smooth. Thank you Stephen for teaching me how to manage a steap hill, and Joao for making my thighs rock-hard with all that weight lifting! On top of this, even though yesterday's weather was dire, today there was not a drop of rain for the whole race.

I think a good third of the race was up hill, yet I was honestly smiling when I got to the 5th kilometre where the race's photographer was, and I was smiling even more towards the end of the race as I managed to overtake a few of the people who had been running close to me for a large portion of the route. Actually the down-hill bits were fast but slightly scary as the floor was slippery with lots of wet leaves lying around.

I managed a slick sprint as well at the very end, running faster than I ever had (even in training). I did think that I had left one of my late competitors well behind, but unfortnately she managed to beat me in the last 100 metres or so. Still, what an amaizing feeling to run your heart out as people are cheering you into the finish line...

That being said, my last thought on approaching and passing that line at full speed were "oh my god I'm gonna throw up"... It took me a little while to get my breath back and to believe that I wasn't going to pass out, but guys, I made it, and I've got my participatory medal to prove it :D

The rest of the day was spent eating the home-made cake they were selling there, browsing sofas in a rather good furniture shop, enjoying a roast at the local pub, and sleeping like a log in the train with my head on Ubercoach Stephen.

People, my legs are sooo tired right now, I cannot wait to simmer in a bath for the best part of an hour, gobble down pizza like there's no tomorrow, and sleep like a wee bairn.

Wooo-hoo-hoo!!!!! Bring on the Bath Half then!

No comments: