Tuesday 16 December 2008

Day 72: MI-6 smells of fish.

Excuse me if I say so myself, but this morning I think I am rather awesome, in a hard-core running sort of way :) I completed the first 1.5 hour run I had to do on my own, and it felt rather good, considering how tough Sunday's efforts were and how little time I'd had to recover. I completed it at a slower but comfortable and consistent pace, and the whole thing was roughly 14 Km long / about 8.75 miles.

I would really recommend this route, by the way: North Bank from Tower Hill and all the way to Vauxhall Bridge, run past the MI-6 office (where the river smells of fish -- rather like a sea shore), and then the South Bank all the way back to Tower Hill. I had to extend the run into town as that only took me 1.25 hours, so I pushed it into Wapping until I reached the usual park.

London is mighty fine in the morning, and the South Bank currently boasts the small wooden huts of a German Xmas market, as well as some very funky decorative lights made of traffic cones containing blue neon light and suspended into trees. It's really worth a look.

I didn't push it very hard, but I did run all the way, and it was great considering that for a moment, as I had fallen back asleep for an extra hour after the alarm rang, I thought I would skip this session altogether. So, I believe I totally deserved the big chocolate brownie I scoffed down for breakfast when I got back :)

And as I was jogging back, I had the company of Arnaud on the phone, which got me some puzzled looks from fellow runners (probably wondering if I was one of these weirdos who can never let go of their mobile...!).

No comments: