Tuesday 21 October 2008

Day 16: do I have shinsplints?

Missed photo opportunities:
  • Unfortunately London has got colder and our central heating doesn't work, so there was I last night, with fleece and warm pyjamas, lying on the sofa with one bag of frozen peas wrapped up in a dish cloth on each of my ankles and knees. I was quite a sight! Ankles and knees were quite painful yesterday, and deserved a bit of care, hence the peas (and the ibuprofen). I was feeling much, much better this morning, with just one of my knees feeling a bit warm, and so I decided to stick to my program and do a 15 min jog followed by a 15 run. That went well, and although my ankles did hurt again when I removed my shoes and went up and down the stairs at home, I think this could well be a minor injury that will go away with gentler exercise and icing. The closest condition we could come up with is shinsplints, which coach Stephen, being a fencer, knows well. The Internet tells me that this isn't a term physiotherapists like to use because it is too general, however I can find no condition on the web that matches my symptoms, and I don't get a sense that they should stop me anyway.
  • This morning, Stephen still felt quite poorly after a large part of the night spent coughing, so I did train on my own (oh, I tell you, it takes a lot of motivation to put your trainers on when your other half is cosily tucked into the warm bed!). As I was jogging by the canal near the park, I suddenly felt a quiet presence near me, and as I turned my head I saw a rather big fox standing there, looking at me. I wonder who was the most startled...!
  • I also got chased by a meowing cat, who run alongside me for a few meters, in search of affection and food after a night spent outside. A chipmunk or two and I could have have been mistaken for Snow White enjoying a walk in the woods!!!

I've cancelled my session with Joao tonight to take care of my ankles and knees and get rid of the pain altogether - I may indulge in a sauna at the local gym :)

No comments: