Monday 13 October 2008

How the weekend went...

I actually slept more on Sunday than Saturday, as the habit of waking up at 6 every day got in the way of a lie-in at first. But I did enjoy *not* training for a change!

On Sunday, I managed my very first one-hour run!!! :D And I tell you, people: it was *hard*. Two lessons learnt on that day: one, don't start too fast, and two, avoid fried sausages for breakfast :)

We run along the Thames, on a beautiful sunny day, and that means we completely sizzled for a whole hour. I went through a whole range of feelings. Notably, about 12 minutes into the run the realisation suddenly really hit me that I had to keep this up for a complete hour (this comes with something not very different from despair......). I also got to a point about 15 mins before the end where I thought I would break down and cry - my thoughts were tumbling about in my head and they were not pretty ones: "can you really do this?" was the main question.

But in the end, we completed the damn thing!!! :) We crossed the river via Greenwich tunnel, which made for a rather delightful spell of fresh and damp air, much needed after 45 minutes of burning in the the sun. I can tell y0u that completing the course was totally exhilarating, and there's something to be said for the pleasant stretch that ensued on the grass near Greenwich pier, with a rather stunning view of Canary Wharf and the Dome.

We went back home by boat, admiring the views along the way.

Went to bed at 9.30 last night...

This morning (day 8) was a 30-min steady run, which was quite painful at the start after yesterday's efforts. But overall we managed to hit a slightly faster pace.

All good, and on to week 2!

No comments: