Monday 20 October 2008

Days 14 and 15: show must go on

I very much appreciated my non-running Saturday, as you can imagine. On top of this, the last working week ended on a high, with more generous donations and really cool comments from colleagues as far away as Mexico -- thanks Mike for helping me achieve my fundraising goal, encouraging me and helping me cover the Feedgit map on this blog with numerous dots from all around the world. So exciting!

I had not really been looking forward to the Sunday run after the last one, but actually I found this one (one hour) easier than the first, and managed to run a little faster, too. Fewer cramps, and better breathing. Estimated distance: about 6.5 miles -- not bad, eh?

This time I was running on my own as poor coach Stephen was house-bound with a nasty cough. So, here was I, panting and sweating, with my iPod, a phone, a bottle, a travelcard, a hat and a jacket soon all tied up awkwardly around my waste. I hate to say this, but it looks like I will need the one thing that has American and English people all confused about the language: a bum bag (for the UK) or a fanny pack (for the US). There is really no good way to describe this thing, is there? In France we just call it "sac banane" (banana bag), which isn't much better...

Anyway, the weather was pleasant but very windy, and I run along the Thames until well after Canary Wharf, enjoying the views of the high tide, turbulent waters and rays of sun shooting from between very dark clouds and giving the river a golden glow. And of course I rewarded myself with a generous slice of cake when I got back home. My first run on my own!

This morning (day 16!) was an esy 40 min jog, however I find that my knees and my ankles are rather inflamed and were painful when I started, until I got a little warmer. There is still a fair bit of wind around, which made it challenging for yesterday's run in particular, as I was most of the time running against it.

All in all, I may need some ice packs for my legs, but all is well, and on to week three!!!

No comments: